Monday 21 December 2009

Buzzard or Turkey



The land rover that Admittedly could do with a bit of a tidy up and Passenger


As life has been a little out of routine lately it finally dawned on me that we had no Christmas lunch or anything else for that matter and with house guests for the next few mornings I would never secure that sought after parking place at M&S, unless i went today. Early.
Shopping completed I drove carefully home of the unusually icy roads for Cornwall. All went well until i pulled on to the Marazion bi-pass and a Buzzard came fast out of the road side bushes.......... as i braked the bird spotted me and tried to pull up but inevitably there was a clunk and as the landrover halted, there was the bird, on the bonnet wings askew peering in the window at me. A few cars sped past and then magically there was no one, just me and the recumbent bird. After a few minutes it became apparent that i was the only one there and would have to DO SOMETHING! A glance at the fearsome beak and talons told me that this bird was not to be messed with and it showed no sign of moving anytime soon and so i found Charles new beige jumper on the back seat and gently gathered the bird and put him/her in the car too before continuing home........... Bizarrely I now had one live Buzzard and one dead Turkey ready for Christmas.
My new passenger was happy to sit on the back seat blinking occasionally and soon regained an upright position. Charles's hasn't mentioned the new-beige-jumper but took the opportunity to photograph the bird as he has been trying to photograph the birds of prey for some time.

Which left the sticky problem of what to do with the bird in the inclement conditions when it had lost a few vital hours of feeding. .............Phone the RSPCA! and in time a very nice lady came and examined the bird and has taken him/her to a bird of prey centre leaving an addressed envelope for donations.............I only went for a Turkey!

3 comments:

  1. Wow what a story! What an amazing, beauty of a bird too! I'm so thankful that you gathered him up and saw to his needs.
    I rescued a Great Horned Owl when I was a teenager, he was very young when he fell out of the nest, so I raised him until he could fly...the day I threw him up into the air and said goodbye, to my amazement two full grown owls swooped out of our very large pine tree and the three of them flew off together. It was very special to me.
    Happy Christmas to you.
    MHL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew, what a week you're having, So pleased the Buzzard looked to be OK (no mention of Charles's new jumper) I have had a near miss several times - The Buzzards seem to come off the fields so fast & low across the road.
    The frost looked lovely, but it was very icy & slippery on the lane this morning ! Have a good Christmas - Jim & Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely story about the owl Motor-head Lady with a super happy ending too, thank you. A very happy Christmas to you as well but beware low flying birds!

    Yes Perran lady it was the last thing i needed at the time. The lady from the RSPCA said the buzzards were lower and slower than usual because of the cold weather, so be carefull - any faster and the wind screen would have gone for sure. Let's hope he is tucked up with free rabbits in his cage for Christmas .
    Hope that you have a great Christmas too - Christine and Charles

    ReplyDelete