Friday 7 May 2010

The Joy of foraging



There is a certain joy to local foraging although my method is not quite the earthier variety I'll get too later! Take the other day for instance - first stop Trevelyan farm shop just up the road and filled with local goodies not to mention the aroma of freshly baked bread. To freshly baked quiche soon found their way into my shopping basket .........."now what was it I came in for?"




Of we went again to collect our free range eggs for breakfast freshly laid by the diligent hens of Kestral that industriously walk the pastures as opposed to lurking under the hedge as mine used to do but I suppose I shouldn't speak ill of the dead. On again and have you ever noticed those tempting little signs on the side of country lanes...........the next one led to some sumptuous home made jam from a porch bristling with hygiene certificates - the joy of local foraging!
My guests from Australia last week took the whole thing one step further though and went professionally foraging with Caroline Davey and spent many happy hours in the country lanes and on the sea shore learning about edible plants for free. They were given super of some of the gleanings - apparently Japanese Knot weed tastes a bit like Rhubarb!

No comments:

Post a Comment